Window Rebates Are Back, The Government is Offering Between $50 – $100 Per Window/Door!
If you’ve been thinking about replacing your old windows and doors with new, energy efficient windows and doors now is the perfect time. The government is incentivizing you to make your home more energy efficient by offering a rebate for you to exceed the building code.
If you meet the Tier 1 requirements you’ll get a $50 rebate per window! If you meet Tier 2 you’ll get a $100 rebate per window!
The rebate program is based on the U Value of the window. The lower the U Value the more energy efficient the window will be. At Long Life Windows we use a high grade window, therefore we simply add a coating on double pane windows and patio doors to meet the requirements. (To learn more about the coating from Cardinal Glass click here)
BC Government Rebates Perks:
- The Home Renovation Rebate and EfficiencyBC Program, administered by BC Hydro, FortisBC and the Province of BC, are providing rebates for improving your home’s energy efficiency through select upgrades, including energy efficient windows. There are two Tiers of rebates available.
- Tier 1: $50 off per window. You can receive up to $1000 off.
- Tier 2: $100 off per window. You can receive up to $2000 off.
- There is no longer a minimum amount of windows needed to be eligible for the rebates. There is a maximum of 20 windows per Tier.
- For more details on the differences between the Tiers, see the requirements below.
Limited Time Only:
- Our government approved $24 Million dollars in government rebates towards high energy efficient windows throughout B.C. (when the funds are gone, the rebates are gone).
Requirements for the Government Rebates:
- The windows must be replacing existing windows in the building envelope. Windows installed in new rough openings are ineligible.
- Skylights are not eligible for the government rebates.
- Windows and Doors must be installed by a company with a valid BC business license.
- New windows must be ENERGY STAR® certified with a maximum U-Value: (the lower the U Value, the more efficient the windows)
- Tier 1: You must have a U Value of 1.23 – 1.40(W/m2·K). Note that Tier 1 is not eligible in the city of Vancouver as this is the required code (read our blog post understanding the new Vancouver Code here)
- Tier 2: You must have a U Value of 1.22 (W/m2·K) or less.
- If the upgrade was invoiced between September 28, 2018 – March 31, 2019, you fall under the old Government Rebate regulations. Therefore, you are only eligible to recieve $50 per window that has a U Value of 1.22 (W/m2·K) or less.
- In order to qualify for Tier 1 or Tier 2 under the new Government Rebate regulations, the upgrades must be installed on or after April 1 2019.
- The products must be listed on the ENERGY STAR certified fenestration list in order to be eligible for the government rebates.
- The rebates are not eligible for new builds. The rebates are only eligible for window upgrades.
- Homeowners must submit a photo that shows the U-Factor certifcation mark and the NRCan reference number. For more information, please visit NRCan.gc.ca
- For more information about the government rebate requirements, please visit efficiencybc.ca.